- 1 cup uncooked white or multi-colored quinoa
- 1 cup coconut milk (I prefer Thai Kitchen brand)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp oil for cooking
- 1/2 lb shrimp, cleaned and patted dry
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp grated or minced garlic
- 1 egg, scrambled
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (or any other veggies)
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Cilantro for garnish
- Juice of 1 lime
- Rinse and drain the quinoa. Add to a pot with coconut milk and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and lower heat, cover pot with lid until all liquid is absorbed, around 20 minutes. Let quinoa rest while you prep the other ingredients.
- In a stir fry pan (or wok) on high heat, add 1 tbsp oil and the uncooked shrimp. Cook until shrimp are pink, about 1-2 minutes on each side. Be careful not to overcook them. Remove shrimp onto a plate.
- In the same pan, add remaining oil and stir fry the onion, garlic, and ginger until onion is translucent.
- Add the cooked quinoa and stir fry, then push quinoa to the side of pan. Add the egg and scramble it until almost cooked, then mix it into the quinoa.
- Add the peas, fish sauce, and red pepper flakes and mix into the quinoa. Stir fry on medium heat until peas are soft, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add juice of 1 lime and garnish with cilantro, sliced red chili, and lime wedges. Serve hot and enjoy!
This recipe works great with substitutions. Shrimp: replace with cubed tofu or chicken breast. Peas: replace with carrots, broccoli, bell pepper, cauliflower, etc. Fish sauce: replace with soy sauce Extras: Peanuts, chopped pineapple, and bean sprouts add delicious flavor too.