Assalamu Alaykum! (Peace be on You!)
Hope everyone is doing well on this fine Monday evening (bleh). I know it’s been some time since my last post- but is getting married and completing my undergraduate a good excuse to be gone for so long?
I’m in a new and exciting stage of my life- the newlywed phase…and I’m loving it! It comes with a lot of responsibility but one of those responsibilities is figuring out what to put out for dinner each night. Since I’m not used to that, it’s taking a lot of experimenting, planning, and splurging on too much good food 😉
Tonight, I tried a new way to spice up Spanish/Mexican rice. In some soft onion and garlic, I sautéed veggies, chicken, and some beans, and added the rice to that mixture.
The results were so delicious! You can easily eat the rice as a “spanish rice bowl”by itself, on top of shredded lettuce, or inside a tortilla.
Give this quick and easy recipe a try!
- 2-3 T oil
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (finely chopped)
- 1 bell pepper, any color, chopped/diced
- 1 Italian squash/zucchini, chopped/diced
- 1/2 cup kidney beans, cooked
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken (seasoned to your liking)
- 1 cup cooked Spanish or Mexican rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- Handful of cilantro, finely chopped for garnish
- Cook onion and garlic in oil until fragrant and softened.
- Add the bell pepper, cooking for another minute.
- Add the zucchini, cooking for 2 more minutes.
- Add the beans, chicken, rice, and spices; stir fry until heated all the way through.
- Serve with fresh guacamole, salsa, chips, lettuce, tortillas, or whatever you wish!