In the Muslim world, Ramadan is quickly coming to an end.
The month of Ramadan is a month in which Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset, abstaining from eating and drinking, as well as controlling bad habits (like backbiting, lying, etc.).
It’s a time that teaches patience, self control, and cleanses one both physically and spiritually.
It is a practice by Muslims to eat a meal before beginning fast each day of the month. This meal is called “suhoor”. And if you know anything about fasting, you’ll know how difficult it can be to get up before the sun does, try to wake yourself out of deep sleep, and manage to eat something to last you all day long.
With about 10 days left of Ramadan, suhoor options may seem limited…so I’m going to share a favorite of mine: egg muffins! You may remember these from my previous breakfast tablescape post.
These are super easy, simple, and so delicious–even at 4 in the morning!
Even better is that you can throw in almost anything to make these muffins fit your tastebuds! I’ll be showing you my recipe with what I had on hand…so read on, please 🙂
You can add anything to the mixture of eggs: veggies (bell peppers, mushrooms, spinach, etc.), cheeses, and meats (shredded chicken, sliced turkey, etc.).
I used some tomatoes and fresh chopped baby spinach.
Easy measurements: 3 eggs = 6 cupcake sized muffins!
- 3 eggs
- 1 small chopped tomato
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- Salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp crushed black pepper, pinch of paprika, pinch of seasoning salt, and pinch of garlic powder
- Beat the eggs in a bowl, add in veggies of your choice, milk, cheese, and the spices
- Spray nonstick cupcake tray with cooking spray (or brush them with oil).
- Pour the batter equally into the cupcake trays (you can divide the batter into 6 portions, or leave it as 1 egg per cup).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 deg F.
- Cool completely before sliding out of the pans.
- Refrigerates well, can be frozen in advanced and warmed in toaster oven/ microwave!
- Feel free to replace veggies or add meat- this is just a basic recipe and it works so well with other ingredients! Try them out and leave a comment below!