It came together pretty quickly (if I can do it when the baby naps, you can do it too!). And I don’t make casseroles much, but this one tasted delicious with freshly made guacamole and tortilla chips (okay, not so healthy but I think I deserved it).
There’s not much to say about this…quinoa is versatile, it tastes amazing with all kinds of flavors. This casserole is cheesy and spicy with chicken in each bite. Super delicious stuff right here. Recipe is below!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water or chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- 1 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp hot sauce like Tobasco
- 1 tbsp oil for cooking
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese (any kind)
- Sliced olives, chopped tomato, and avocado for garnish
- In a pot, place 1 cup quinoa with 2 cups liquid. Cover, bring to boil. When boiling, reduce heat to low and cook until liquid is fully absorbed. Keep lid on while you make the chicken and sauce.
- Preheat oven to 375 deg F. In another pan, heat up oil and add the onion and garlic. Saute until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add the bell pepper and the tomato, stir fry until tomato is slightly soft.
- Add the tomato sauce, hot sauce, and the spices and salt, mix well. Add the diced uncooked chicken, stir together and allow the chicken to fully cook, about 5-6 minutes on med heat. Cover pan to keep sauce warm.
- Now you're ready to assemble. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and to this, add the chicken and tomato sauce gravy. Add 1/2 cup cheese and mix it all together.
- Place the quinoa and chicken mixture into a casserole or baking dish (9X9 Pyrex works well). I used individual baking dishes that turned out really cute.
- Top with olives and cheese. Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil, add extra cheese if you want, and bake uncovered for another 10-12 minutes.
- Garnish with avocado and tomato. Serve with extra hot sauce, refried beans, salsa, guacamole, and tortilla chips. Enjoy!