I started with some freshly made basil pesto… I just blended 1 cup basil leaves, 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup pine nuts, a pinch of salt, and enough olive oil to get the consistency you see.
I sauteed some green and red bell peppers…
Sliced up some fresh monterey jack cheese….
Grilled some red onions….
Cooked some chicken with a little seasoning….
And then I grabbed my torte buns, slathered one side with mayonnaise, and the other side with pesto.
- 1 chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, any color, sliced
- 4 torte buns (see note below)
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Monterey jack or Mozzarella cheese
- Cook the chicken breast with any spice you like, but keep it mild. I used seasoning salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Set aside.
- In same pan, saute the onions with 1 tbsp oil until soft and slightly browned. Set aside.
- Saute the bell peppers with another tbsp of oil until they're just a little soft. Set aside.
- Slice up your cheese, assemble all ingredients so it's easier to make the sandwiches.
- Take each bun, cut in half. Spread pesto on one side, and mayo on the other side.
- Layer peppers, onions, cheese, and chicken on one side of the bun. Press the sandwich closed with the other bun.
- Repeat with the other sandwiches.
- Press in a panini maker, or like I did: heat up two iron skillets on the stove, place the sandwich on one skillet, and place the other skiller on top of the sandwich. This will act as a weight and press your sandwich like a panini maker does. If you're making more sandwiches, you can also just heat up two baking trays in the oven on 350 deg F, and place the sandwiches between the two trays.
*Torte buns turned out fantastic with this sandwich, but if you can't find any in your grocery store, try ciabatta bread or an Italian bread. I'd advise not to use regular sandwich bread or buns, because you won't get the same crispy results! Enjoy!