I love vegetarian dishes. I especially love Indian vegetarian dishes. There’s just something about the combination of spices and ingredients in those dishes that makes me never miss any meat. Back in highschool, I used to visit this one hole-in-the-wall Indian restaurant that had the best vegetarian dishes. I think that’s where I developed my love of meatless meals. Anyways, despite the numerous restaurant vegetarian options I’ve tried, none can beat one of my mom’s specialty, Indian style vegetable korma.
This veggie filled curry has a spice infused cream sauce that is absolutely delicious. The recipe I’m sharing is the same recipe that my mom so graciously shares with you today. I have made this multiple times under her directions and it’s now become a favorite of my husband’s as well (score +1 for meatless meals!!).
The Indian style vegetable korma is a perfect balance of heat, flavor, and a touch of sweetness from the heavy cream. The veggies really balance well with the creamy sauce. Serve this korma with some white basmati rice or freshly made naan for a complete meal! I hope you enjoy my video and the recipe below for it!
An Indian style vegetable korma, a vegetable curry with a spice infused cream sauce.
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp red chile powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chile, split in half
- 2 cups heavy cream, or 1 pint
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1.5 cups chopped cauliflower
- 1 16 oz bag frozen mixed veggies, with lima beans
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro for garnish
- Cooked white rice or naan bread to serve with
- Heat up oil in a medium pot. On medium heat, add the onions and stir fry until soft, 2 min. Do not brown the onions.
- Add the salt, chile powder, coriander, and turmeric and mix well.
- Add the tomatoes and cover pot, cook tomatoes on low for 7-8 min, until completely softened.
- Add the ginger garlic paste + green chile, stir fry for 1 min.
- Add the heavy cream, garam masala, and fenugreek leaves. Bring to a boil and cook, covered for 8-10 min on medium.
- Add the veggies + cauliflower and cover, cook on low until the cauliflower is soft, about 6-7 min.
- For a thicker gravy, cook uncovered for additional 3-4 min.
- Serve with cilantro garnish + rice or naan. Enjoy!
Lima beans are important in this dish, be sure to find a veggie packet that has lima beans included, or add in 1/2 cup frozen lima beans separately.