It’s worth it, I keep telling myself. Anyways, no sugar means no typical rose-syrup-flavored water that’s the standard for every iftar (breaking of fast). Instead, I’m drinking a lot more water, but trying to come up with unique flavored waters and drinks as well.
I tried making lemonade with raw orange blossom honey. Guess what? We didn’t miss the sugar at all! In fact, the unique taste of orange blossom honey gave the lemonade a floral hint. It was delicious and refreshing after a long day of fasting.
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 large lemons)
- 3/4 cup raw honey
- 1 and 1/2 cup filtered water
- 3 and 1/2 cup ice cold filtered water
- Squeeze the juice and a little pulp from 3 large lemons. Discard seeds.
- Heat up 1 and a half cups of water in a sauce pan. Do not let it boil.
- With the stove off, dissolve the raw honey into the water. If the water is too hot, it will destroy the beneficial properties of raw honey.
- Stir in the lemon juice into the honey syrup.
- In a large pitcher, mix in 3 and a half cups of cold water with the lemon and honey mixture. Stir, adjust sweetness and coldness according to taste. Enjoy!
***Note: depending on how sour your lemons are, or how sweet your honey is, you may have to do some adjusting to suit your taste***
All recipes belong to All Floured Up unless otherwise stated.