Long time no post, but that’s because I’ve been occupied with a little baby (I like to call him squish) who entered my life about 3 weeks ago. Both baby and mama are doing well, and I will have a post coming up about adjusting to life with baby soon!
My wonderfully talented cousin Saba from An Amateur’s Kitchen is guest posting today, and I’m so excited to have you all try this beautiful recipe too! Read on for her post and the recipe. Also be sure to check out the linked facebook page for more of Saba’s delicious recipe. She also has an Instagram account, just look up “An Amateur’s Kitchen” on the app!
I am Rubina’s (fabulous) cousin, Saba, and I am guest posting for her today while she takes care of her little baby munchkin like the amazing supermom that she is J I am honored to be writing this for her and to share this recipe for a new favorite of mine, Citrus and Herb Roasted Chicken.
The star ingredients of this dish, which are lemons, oranges, and rosemary and thyme, come together beautifully to create a more rustic, pizzazz-y, smaller and simpler version of a whole roasted chicken. It’s perfect to make for a small dinner party for your friends, or even just to earn some brownie points from your family cause who doesn’t love brownies right?
The juice from the lemons and oranges help make the chicken extremely moist and soft, while adding a light, fresh citrusy flavor. Rosemary and thyme create a delightful aroma that compliments the fruit nicely. It really makes me feel like spring is here, regardless of what the groundhog says. (Why does a groundhog get to decide our seasons, anyway?)
This roast chicken dish is also super easy and simple to make; you just assemble it and pop it in the oven for an hour. During this glorious hour of free time, you can make some sides, like mashed potatoes or a salad, or if you’re ambitious and slightly irresponsible like me, just continue binge watching your favorite show while you cry about how much work you have yet to complete. I need to sort out my priorities. Either way, this deliciously moist, flavorful, herb-y chicken will be ready to make your tummy happy.
Citrus and Herb Roasted Chicken
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 10-12 pieces bone-in chicken leg and thigh
- 2 oranges, juice one and slice one
- 2 lemons, juice one and slice one
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, fresh or dried
- 1 teaspoon thyme, fresh or dried
- Preheat oven to 400oF.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, orange juice, Italian seasoning, onion powder, red pepper flakes, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper.
- Place chicken, skin side up, in a large glass baking dish (13in x 9in works well). Pour the olive oil mixture evenly over the chicken, making sure that all pieces are coated in the mixture. Place the lemon, orange, and onion slices on top and in between the chicken. Sprinkle with thyme and rosemary.
- Bake for an hour, or until juices run clear and the chicken is cooked.
All recipes belong to All Floured Up unless otherwise stated.
Adapted from this recipe.