I’m crazy about pasta dishes. So is my family. Ever since I discovered Trader Joe’s organic brown rice pasta, the pasta craze has been…well, even crazier. Some of our favorites are cajun pasta, pesto chicken pasta, and this chicken fajita pasta that I recently came up with. This pasta is spiced with tex-mex flavors that are slightly spicy and when it all comes together, it’s seriously a party in your mouth!
This pasta dish boasts delicious, smoky spices: chile powder, smoked paprika, and of course, tons of garlic and onion. I season both the chicken and the sauce so that the flavor stays consistent throughout the dish. Also, I use brown rice pasta like I previously mentioned because it’s a nice alternative to the regular wheat or whole wheat pastas.
I love adding colorful peppers to this dish, just like you’d find in regular chicken fajitas. The addition of tomatoes at the last stage releases the juice and flavor. Finally, I love a good sprinkle of freshly chopped cilantro that adds a freshness to the whole dish.
This colorful, vibrant dish can be great as a meal or a side dish in a tex-mex themed party. It would go perfectly with some nachos, mexican rice, or even some taco soup. I also love topping the pasta with some sour cream, extra shredded cheese, and if I have it handy, some fresh guacamole. This is a dish you can totally go all-out for. You won’t regret it 😉
A spicy, fun twist on traditional pasta with smoky flavors and melted cheese!
- 1 lb uncooked pasta
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 1/2 large onion, sliced (1/2 cup sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon chile powder
- 1 tsp red pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Boil the pasta according to package directions. Do not overcook the pasta (8 min is perfect for me). Drain and set aside.
- Slice the chicken breast into strips. Season with 1 tsp of spice mix and about 1 tsp salt (or to taste). Cook on medium heat in a pan until completely cooked through, about 7 minutes.
- Set the chicken aside. In the same pan, add some more oil and add the garlic, onions and peppers. Stir fry on medium until the veggies are slightly soft. Remove the veggies from the pan (into the same plate as the chicken).
- In the same pan, add the chicken broth and heavy cream. Bring to a boil, add the remaining spice mix, and salt to taste. Add in the cooked chicken and veggies.
- Now, add the the chopped tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are slightly soft, just 2-3 minutes. Add this sauce mixture to a pot with the drained pasta. Toss well.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese of your choice and the chopped cilantro and serve hot.
Optional: top with sour cream, guacamole, and some crushed tortilla chips.