As Salam Alaykum (Peace be on You!)
I served this with some brown rice pilaf and a black pepper gravy, but it really doesn’t need much (as you can see). Even a simple salad will go perfectly with this!
Don’t let this recipe scare you, it’s pretty simple to do! Trick I have learned is not to allow the chicken to overcook. Since it’s chicken breast (and mine was pounded pretty thinly), it cooks super quickly.
- 3 chicken breasts, pounded flat/thin (I buy "chicken steaks" which are pre-pounded super thin)
- 3-6 slices smoked turkey breast (deli-meat)
- 6 slices pepperjack cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, seasoned with salt/pepper/cayenne powder
- Butter for pan frying
- If your chicken breasts aren't flat- place plastic wrap on top of meat, and pound flat using a mallet or a rolling pin
- Lay a chicken breast on a clean plate. Place a turkey slice in the center (you can use 2 slices if the breast is large). Place a single slice of cheese in the center on top of the turkey (don't overdose on the cheese, it will ooze out otherwise).
- Carefully roll the chicken breast tightly and secure with toothpicks. Make sure the turkey or cheese is not peeking out.
- Repeat with the other two chicken breasts.
- Heat up some butter or oil in a pan. Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- Dip each chicken roll in eggs, then breadcrumbs.
- Pan fry in the butter/oil for 2 min on each side, until golden brown
- Place the rolls in a baking dish, bake until the insides of chicken is no longer pink (about 20-25 min more).
- Allow the rolls to cool a bit before removing toothpicks and slicing into.
- Serve with rice or salad, and a creamy sauce if you like (like mushroom, black pepper, or Alfredo sauce).