Next, layer thinly sliced apples that are coated with cinnamon sugar…
And finally, top is off with a crumb topping that has brown sugar, oats, and more butter!
Caramel Apple Bars
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 small apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 pinch allspice (optional)
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 300 deg F.
- Shortbread crust: mix together melted butter with sugar, vanilla, salt. Add this to the flour and mix thoroughly.
- Take an 8" square baking tray, line it with foil (see above pictures). Pat the shortbread crust into the bottom of the pan, using your hands to make sure everything is packed tightly. Bake at 300 deg for 15 min.
- Peel the apples and slice them thinly. Coat the apples with flour, sugar, cinnamon, and other spices if using.
- Combine oat flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, flour, and unsalted butter. I like to run this through the food processor (pulsing it) so it combines really well.
- Layer the apples over the baked shortbread crust. Pour the crumb topping on top of the apples.
- Raise the oven temperature to 350 deg F. Bake the apple bars for 30 minutes.
- Cool completely and refrigerate for 1 hour before cutting. To cut, just take out the foil from the tray, cut into bars or squares, and serve with warm caramel sauce on top (I used ready made caramel).
**I used an 8" square baking tray, but you can use the rectangular size and double the recipe. ***If you don't have oat flour (like me), just grind up some regular oats in a food processor.
All recipes belong to All Floured Up unless otherwise stated.