I came up with this recipe after trying so many recipes that just lacked flavor. I like a creamy pasta that packs a punch.
Cajun Shrimp Pasta
- 1 16 oz bag of penne pasta
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled/cleaned
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 1/2 cup full fat milk, optional
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Salt to taste (about 1 tsp)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- Parsley for garnish
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1) Mix the spice mix for the shrimp and evenly coat all the uncooked shrimp. Boil the pasta according to directions, drain, and set aside.
- 2) In a large skillet, heat up 1 tbsp oil, add the shrimp.
- 3) Stir around for 1 minute and add the onions and tomato. Stir fry until tomato is slightly soft, then remove the shrimp, onion, and tomato onto a plate. Next stir fry bell pepper for 2-3 minutes, and remove from pan.
- 4) In the same skillet/pan, add the heavy cream and scrape the spicy bits at the bottom of the pan (aka flavor!) You can add the full fat milk at this point if you prefer the pasta with more sauce.
- 5) Add in the minced garlic, cayenne pepper, black pepper, paprika, onion powder, and salt.
- 6) Cook the cream and spices until it's a little thicker and reduced, about 5 minutes. It should not be watery, you want a nice creamy sauce.
- 7) Add in the shrimp, tomato, and onions into the sauce, including any extra juices on the plate.
- 8) Stir together and add the cooked pasta into the sauce, stir it all to combine. Add in the shredded cheese and garnish with parsley. Serve hot. Enjoy!
All recipes belong to All Floured Up unless otherwise stated.