Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup oil or butter, or both mixed
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 and 1/2 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 cup shredded or chopped carrots
- Optional: Pinch of seasoning salt, paprika, and ground mustard.
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Saute the chopped onion with 1 tbsp butter until soft. Set aside in a bowl.
- In a soup pot, combine the oil/butter with the flour and whisk on medium-low until it is fragrant and golden brown (3 minutes or so).
- Add the half and half, milk, and chicken stock. Whisk it until the flour lumps disappear. Cook for 20 minutes, until the milk mixture thickens just a little bit.
- Add the carrots and onions, cooking on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and cook until the broccoli is tender (but not mushy), about 5-10 more minutes.
- Mix in the seasonings, salt, pepper, and the cheese.
- Serve hot with crusty bread! Enjoy!
All recipes belong to All Floured Up unless otherwise stated.