I have some new and exciting news to share today! I’m revealing my newest endeavor, cooking videos! I’ve been meaning to do this for over a year now, but until recently I, a) didn’t have proper equipment and b) my son was too young for me to dedicate this much time and effort into such big projects. Now that I’m prepared, I’m excited to share the recipe and video for the best baklava ever.
This baklava is super easy and so adaptable for whatever variation of nuts you prefer. Baklava is a flaky layered pastry with lots of yummy goodness and a simple syrup to add a sweet touch. It’s very addicting, and I can vouch for that. One tray between my husband and I won’t even last a week!
Layered sheets of pastry filled with nuts and topped with a golden syrup!
- 3.5 cups walnuts (or nuts of your choice), chopped
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 cup sugar
- Juice of half a lemon (2 tsp)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 package phyllo dough sheets
- 2 sticks butter (1 cup), melted
- Heat up water, sugar, lemon juice, and honey on a stove. Stir and whisk until dissolved. Bring to a boil and don't stir for 4 minutes, on medium heat. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Stir together the chopped walnuts and cinnamon.
- In a 9x13 baking tray, layer your baklava sheets. Brush the tray with melted butter, then place one sheet of pastry. Brush with butter, then place another sheet. Repeat with the pattern: 10 sheets, sprinkle a layer of nuts, then 5 sheets, sprinkle a layer of nuts, then 5 sheets, sprinkle a layer of nuts, and so on until the last 10 sheets remain. Make sure to top the baklava with 10 sheets, each brushed with butter. Cut into diagonal shapes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 325 Deg F. Bake baklava for 45-50 min until lightly golden brown on top.
- Cool for 15-20 minutes, then pour syrup on top. Allow to rest for a few hours before serving.
Serving suggestion: a scoop of ice cream + a piece of baklava makes the best dessert ever!