I made these amazing bang bang shrimp recipes for a quick and easy appetizer a few days ago. They were so delicious, crunchy, well seasoned, and the magic sauce is to die-for.
This is a recipe that you must try at least once in your lifetime. I originally heard about this recipe in a food group I’m a part of. I came to know that it’s actually a pretty popular recipe at many chain restaurants (majority of which we do not have here in Oklahoma City).
So being the cookaholic that I am, I decided to make and recreate the recipe myself instead of waiting forever to try it out.
Read and watch the video tutorial to find out how to make these deliciously crunchy shrimp coated in the most wonderful magic sauce.
Perfectly cooked crispy shrimp in a magic sauce that makes your taste buds go crazy!
- 1 lb peeled, cleaned shrimp
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp basil, dried
- 1 tsp parsley, dried
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste (1 tsp each approx)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Oil for frying: vegetable, grapeseed, etc.
- Shredded lettuce and green onions for garnish
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- 2-3 tbsp sriracha sauce (or garlic chili sauce)
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- Mix the mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, sriracha sauce, and vinegar in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat 1 egg in a bowl and set aside.
- Place cornstarch in a bowl and set aside.
- Place flour, panko breadcrumbs, and all the spices in a large plate and mix well.
- Set up a breading station: Dip each piece of shrimp in cornstarch, then in egg, and finally in panko breadcrumbs and place onto a clean plate.
- When all shrimp are breaded, heat oil up to 350 deg F. A piece of breadcrumb should be dropped in and sizzle, floating slowly up. This means your oil is hot enough.
- Fry each shrimp until golden brown on both side, flipping only once in between to get an even golden color. About 3-4 min is all it will take.
- Remove shrimp from oil onto a paper-towel lined plate. Cool for 5 min.
- Toss the cooked shrimp into the bowl with the sauce. Mix well.
- Place shredded lettuce in individual cups, then place 2-3 shrimp and garnish with thinly sliced green onions (scallions).
Can also be served in a burrito, a taco, on top of rice, etc.