It’s the beginning of a new year, and I have taken a resolution to continuously posting recipes and ideas for my readers. Today, I am introducing you to a cookie or biscuit like creation called biscotti.
Biscotti can be flavored in a number of ways, from adding plain vanilla to chopped dried cherries. It pairs very well with a hot drink like coffee or milk tea, because the cookie itself is crunchy in texture. Biscotti is a twice baked cookie, which means that after the dough is baked once, it is taken out of the oven and placed back in to be baked once more.
Recipe Adapted from Food.com
2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 cup Sugar (white)
1 tsp Baking powder
¼ tsp Salt
3 large Eggs
1 stick Unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp Vanilla
1 cup Whole almonds (toasted and chopped)
1) Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2) Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
3) Whisk eggs and flavorings together. Mix in melted butter and almonds.
4) Add in dry ingredients and mix everything well. The dough will be very sticky, but don’t worry!
5) Divide the dough into half, and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6) Shape dough into two loaves (10 in long, 5 in wide). Use wet hands so the dough does not stick.
7) Bake about 45-50 minutes, until loaves and lightly golden.
8) Remove from oven and cool on racks for 15 minutes.
9) Use a serrated knife to cut loaves into ½ inch wide wedges.
10)Lay slices down onto the baking trays and baked again for 25-30 minutes, until golden in color.
11)Cool completely before storing. They taste even better a day or two later! Enjoy!