Last week I experienced my first Spring Storm in Oklahoma: tornados, hail, and all the brilliant lightning. To make up for the awful weather, I decided to hold a little “spring picnic”. Well, I do confess that we intended to go outdoors to have a picnic. But out of nowhere, a tornado warning comes up and I have to resort to an indoors spring picnic. I guess it’s a good idea and activity to do while there’s a storm going on, right? So here’s a little DIY Spring Picnic guide I put together to help you out if you want a little get together of your own!
Despite having no outdoor scenery, we still had all the elements of a picnic: a picnic blanket, some lemonade, fresh fruit, a pasta dish, spring veggie rolls, chicken salad sandwiches, and the cutest board of cheese, crackers, and nuts.
I made spring veggies for the first time in honor of our picnic! Using rice paper, I rolled up red cabbage, cucumbers, chicken, carrots, lettuce, and cilantro leaves. I made a dipping sauce of peanut butter, sriracha, cane sugar, soy sauce, and chili flakes. These were SO delicious! Surprisingly, my hubby enjoyed these way more than I did! For the complete recipe, you can click here.
I put together a little cutting board full of multi-grain crackers, pepper jack and cheddar cheese cubes, walnuts, and almonds. This is a super simple way to impress guests and the combinations of fruits, nuts, and cheeses you could use are endless!
Of course you can’t forget lemonade. Here’s the recipe for the perfect sugar-free honey lemonade. I just stirred in half a cup of frozen mixed berries at the end that gave a little texture and the pretty pink color!
And of course, you can’t forget fresh fruit. I made pineapple and watermelon skewers the were bright and colorful on a dull day. My 15-month old absolutely loves this concept!
Last, but not least, the perfect no-bake cheesecake that literally whips together in 15 minutes. You must give this a try soon! The recipe for this berry no-bake cheesecake is below.
The perfect no-bake cheesecake that smooth, creamy, and perfect for a picnic!
- 1 package cream cheese, 8 oz
- 1 cup heavy cream or whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- lemon zest of 1 small lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 rectangles graham cracker crust
- 2 tbsp butter
- Pulse the graham crackers with the butter until it resembles fine sand. Place equally in bottom of four ramekins or serving bowls. Press down with clean fingers. Place the ramekins in the fridge while the batter is being made.
- For the batter, whip 1 cup of heavy cream in a bowl on medium-high until stiff peaks are formed. Careful not to whip too much or it will turn to butter!
- In another bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Scrape the edges and beat once more, about 1 minute total.
- Add the whipped cream into the cream cheese bowl, adding the vanilla, sugar, and lemon zest as well. Be careful not to overbeat, only just until it's all combined really well.
- Scoop cream cheese mixture into the 4 bowls and top with berries and some crushed graham crackers.
All recipes belong to All Floured Up unless otherwise stated.